| Thursday, September 16, 2010
Been working on a violin model off and on the past week. I have put in maybe 3-4 hours on the product here in the images. However I tested out about 3 or 4 ways to make the neck from reading different blogs since I never really made some thing like that before. It's almost there how ever. Another hour or two of modeling the rest of the neck and the bow and I'll be ready for some texturing! As you can see by the messy slew of images it's come together very nicely. I started with a plane that I molded into the shape of a violin. I but some symmetry to it. I created a shape from the out line and used the sweep modifier to get the nice rounded edge then scaled it down cut and created the side paneling. Another symmetry and we got the bottom (with additional cleaning to remove the holes). The neck was a helix that I lofted along then spent time bridging polys together and fine tuning. I'll admit I'm not 100% happy with it and know it could be better but it looks good and like all my stuff I always think I can make it better. So at the end of the day I'll add a mesh smooth modifier to the stack and call it good. The image below is what it'd look like wit that modifier applied.

I just had to take a break from architectural modeling and try to start adding other pieces to my portfolio to show that I can model and render out more then just an architectural interior or exterior scene. I'm a good modeler and I    really want to better my self so I need to start working on improving in the things that I don't do often. I'd really like to start modeling characters. Never been able to do them well sine I never actually sat down to model one really. So that could be a fun project to do next along with learning Maya again since EVERY one of the companies I know of use Maya and I'm in 3DS Max....the ugly cousin....


Next Prev